It all started Thursday (7-9-09) night at about 10:30 pm . Josh couldn't find his Ipod and was frantically looking for it. I was in bed and started feeling some wierd tightnings in my stomach. After Josh found his Ipod, I had him come in the room to help to determine if they were contractions or not. He could not only feel them, but he could see my stomach tighten with each contraction. After timing them for awhile we determined they were anywhere from 2-4 minutes apart.
We didn't want to freak out and rush to the hospital, because I really wasn't having any pain with them. Although Dr. Riely had told me at my last appointment to get to the hospital if they were 5 minutes apart for longer than an hour. We waited 2 hours before heading to the hospital, but before I would go anywhere I told Josh that I had to take a shower and shave my legs. Josh decided to take a quick shower also.
We arrived at the hospital at 12:30 a.m. They took me up to labor and delivery and hooked me up to the monitors. The nurse said that I was definitely having contractions and when she checked me I was dilated to 4 cm. She said she would call the on-call doctor to see if I was going to be admitted. Josh and I decided not to call anyone until we knew for sure that we were there to stay.
It was a long night. I got about 20 minutes of sleep and Josh got about an hour. At 6:00 a.m. the nurse came in to check me again and I was dilated to 5 cm. She then told us that we wouldn't be going anywhere. They started me on pitocin and we made our calls to our parents. By 8:00 a.m. most of our family had made it over to the hospital.
I was still not feeling any pain at this point. I was in the middle of a conversation with my mom when I felt like I had peed a little. Mom had the nurse check in to see if my water had broke. She got some test strips and it had indeed broke. She checked to see how far I was dialated again and I was between 8 and 9 cm. At that point I had to determine if I wanted an epidural or not because it was getting to the point where it would be too late to get one. I decided to go ahead and get one although the thought of the epidural needle scared me a little.
All this time Dr. Riely was not yet at the hospital. She was at the hospital in Harrison County, which is about 20-30 min away. She finally arrived at about 12:30pm. She had me push, but he wasn't down far enough yet, so the pushing was not doing anything yet.
After she left the epidural quit working and all of a sudden I was in some major pain that had me in tears. They had a second anesthesiologist come in and give me more pain medicine. It worked for about 5 min ... maybe. Again I was in serious pain, with lots of tears. Josh says that I kept saying that I just wanted the baby out and that I wanted them to just do a C-section. The nurse called for a third anesthesiologist that gave me a big dose of something. It worked wonders, but I couldn't feel anything. After a short nap they wanted me to try to push again, but I couldn't even feel the contractions or much of anything for that matter. They had to turn all of my pain medicine off in order for me to be able to have some feeling, and so we waited.
Dr. Riely couldn't work after 5 p.m. due to rules on hours worked, so Dr. Lewis took over. She came in around 6:00ish and had me begin pushing again. I had so much pain in my legs that I was miserable not to mention that I was exhausted from not having any sleep. I was crying and begging Dr. Lewis to just take him C-section, but she wasn't going for it. They tried to use three different suctions on him to aid in getting him out, but none of them worked. Finally after an hour and a half I was bound and determined to get him out. I pushed 6 times in one contraction and he was out. That was the best feeling in the world. It was so weird how the pain just disappeared once he was out.
During labor I told Josh that Jayden would be our only child, but later that night I had already changed my mind. I never thought I could love someone as much as I love him. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It sounds like your labor was rough, to say the least. But what a wonderful reward Jayden is! He's so cute!
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question---We moved Lincoln to his crib when he was about a month old because he was getting too big for it. I would wake up to check on him and his face would be pressed up against the side. Then, we would both freak out! I thought I was going to hate moving him out of our room, but it was so great for us. That's when I really started to sleep good, and he did too.